Types of mattresses and how to choose one?
Sleep - it’s one of the most essential parts of our wellness. Good sleep has a positive impact on our physical, mental and emotional state. But sound sleep is hard to come by. Urban stress, noise, unhealthy eating habits, etc. contribute to sleep disorders.
And there are ways to tackle sleep problems. A key solution is having a good mattress. But buying a good mattress online is easier said than done. Isn’t it? So we’ve put together this blog to help you understand the different types of mattresses, so you can choose the best for yourself.
Types of mattresses
Memory foam mattress
One of the most popular mattress types, the foam mattress is made of foam - a soft and spongy material. Foam mattresses have air trapped between the aerated gaps, which give it softness and bounce.
Plus points of foam mattress
- Memory foam mattress is suitable for people with back and neck issues.
- Memory foam is a durable material and hence foam mattresses have a long lifespan.
- Memory foam mattresses do not have springs and hence there’s less motion when more than one person sleeps on the mattress.
- Memory foam mattresses are more affordable compared to hybrid mattresses.
- Memory foam mattress is suitable to back, stomach and side sleepers
Spring mattress is also known as coil mattress. It has spring inside the mattress. Spring mattresses, usually, have a layer of spring sandwiched between layers of foam or other material. The spring gives the mattress bounce. The density of spring may vary in spring mattresses of different designs.
Benefits of spring mattress
- Spring mattresses have a bounce.
- Spring mattress is known to provide good support to people with back issues.
- Due to motion transfer, spring mattress exerts equal pressure all over the mattress.
- Spring mattresses are affordable and available in a wide price range.
Coir mattress is made from natural fibre, mostly, coconut fibre. Usually, a layer of coir is sandwiched between layers of soft material such as foam or cotton. These mattresses are firm and good for hot and humid temperatures.
Plus points of coir mattress:
- Coir mattresses are firmer compared to foam and spring mattresses.
- Coir mattresses are heavy and hence don’t shift due to movement.
- Since it is made of natural fibre, coir mattress absorbs heat and is suitable for hot weather.
- The natural fibre has anti-allergy, anti-dust, and antifungal properties.
- Coir mattresses are cheaper compared to spring, hybrid and memory foam mattresses.
Latex mattress is made with latex foam, which, unlike memory foam, regains its original shape and size as soon as the body pressure is lifted from it. It is usually made of latex foam along with other materials such as spring and foam.
Benefits of latex mattress
- Latex mattress is good for people who need support for neck and back pain.
- Latex does not retain heat and hence, this mattress is suitable for hot weather.
- Latex is also available in natural alternatives, which are eco-friendly and less harmful to the skin.
A hybrid mattress is a mattress that is made of multiple layers of different types of materials. For example, it can have layers of memory foam, spring, gel, latex, coir, etc. Different hybrid mattresses have different layers.
Benefits of hybrid mattress:
- Hybrid mattresses have many different layers and hence can include the plus points of different materials in one mattress.
- These mattresses have multiple layers and hence can be much thicker compared to single-layer mattresses.
- Hybrid mattresses are available in different combinations and made by different technologies.
An orthopedic mattress is designed to provide more support and less bounce. These mattresses are built to provide support to those suffering from back and neck issues, those recovering from injuries and aged people who generally have body pain issues.
Plus points of orthopedic mattress:
- It provides relief from back and neck pain.
- It provides support to the spine and neck.
- Orthopedic mattresses are available in different designs and hence, different price ranges.
- The technology used in some orthopedic mattresses allow the mattress to adapt to different temperatures.
Over to you
Now that you know about the different types of mattresses, all you need to do is assess which mattress is best for you. Buying a mattress online is super easy. Consider factors such as the material, size of the mattress, price of mattress, comfort level, thickness, and the design before you buy it. Looking to buy a mattress online? You’re in luck with the range of mattresses that Doctor Dreams has to offer.