Health Benefits of 8 Hours of Sleep
Sleeping well for a minimum of eight hours must be a priority over exercise or leisure for most people. Men and women both need to rest well for the other bodily repairs to take place. Sleep is considered to be as important as drinking water, and deprivation of sleep can have many negative impacts on overall health. Whether you need to buy a mattress or a blanket, it must be at hand to get a good night's rest. The activities performed during the entire day also impact an individual's sleep pattern. A minimum of seven to eight hours of sleep is the recommended duration for optimum health. This is based on scientific research done by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM).
What are the health benefits of adequate sleep?
Severe physical and mental ramifications can be the outcome of sleep deprivation. Constantly getting less sleep every day increases the risk for certain diseases. Some health benefits of sleeping for at least eight hours a day are listed as follows.
1) Brain boost: an adequate amount of sleep will allow the brain to process information optimally. The memory of an individual will be impacted positively as it gets refreshed after every sleep cycle. Learning and cognitive reflex are also made simpler with proper focusing abilities. The vigilance and performance levels are also primed well with adequate sleep. People who sleep well can be multi-tasking and well-organized. Lack of sleep can affect a person's ability to make decisions and perform poorly in activities like driving. Many road accidents and deaths have been attributed to people falling asleep whilst driving.
2) Healthy heart system: hormones released during sleep help maintain a healthy heart. Sleep reduction can lead to high blood pressure since the blood pressure decreases and the heart revitalizes during sleep. Various types of heart diseases are also caused subsequently by lack of sleep.
3) Blood sugar regulation: Insulin is needed for the breakdown of sugar in the human body. When the body is deprived of sleep, the resistance to insulin increases, and the sugar is not digested. This leads to the risk of getting Type 2 Diabetes which is very difficult to manage.
4) Decreases stress: the human body needs to de-stress at the end of the day. Stress hormones released when the body lacks sleep may lead to anxiety and irritability. Depression is also another direct effect of inadequate sleep. People suffering from sleep apnea and insomnia are usually subsequently diagnosed with depression. Maximizing sleep-inducing essentials like blankets or using a memory foam pillow can be done for better sleep.
5) Reduced inflammation: lack of sleep causes the inflammatory signaling pathways of the HPA (Hypothalamus Pituitary Axis) to be activated. This is directly linked to the stress response mechanism of the sympathetic nervous system. In other words, chronic inflammation in the body is the result. The levels of inflammation markers of the body increase and cause conditions like heart problems, ulcers, depression, Alzheimer's disease, obesity, etc.
6) Control of body weight: the balance of the hormones responsible for hunger is Leptin and Grehlin, which go out of control due to lack of sleep. This leads to a heavy appetite and more food intake.
Cravings for high-calorie foods like sweets and desserts are also increased due to less sleep. Therefore, adequate getting sleep on a memory foam mattress helps in the control of body weight. Studies carried out proved that sleeping for less than seven hours per day directly increased the chances of obesity.
7) Boost athletic performance: Adequate sleep on an orthopedic mattress is extremely beneficial for those who physically work out. Research has proved that getting sufficient sleep is highly useful for increasing fine motor skills, reflex time, and even muscular power.
Sleeping for stringent durations can strip one of the motivations needed to perform athletically.
8) Improves Immunity: Sleeping for eight hours is needed for maintaining a healthy immunity to combat diseases. From common colds to severe heart diseases, the overall immunity of a person is compromised when sleep time is hindered.
Practical tips to improve sleeping patterns
If getting a full eight hours of sleep is lacking in a person's routine, there are practical methods that can help induce sleep. Planning your day well with lots of physical activities will improve your sleeping patterns. Also, using the right sleeping conditions like a new mattress for comfortable sleep is important. Choosing a mattress according to the size of the bed, like a King size mattress or a Queen size mattress, is practical. Using a cotton bedsheet to cover the soft mattress enhances the comfort factor in the bed. Soft pillows for sleeping or a comforter blanket are a requisite for a full night's sleep. Besides these bedding requirements, initiating an aroma diffuser can also help induce sleep for those who have difficulty sleeping.
So if you're having a problem sleeping for the recommended duration of eight hours in a day, buy a mattress like a foam mattress online. Choosing a memory foam mattress online has the added benefit of hassle-free home delivery. One can also order pillows online for an easy shopping experience.
The lack of sleep can be highly derogatory for balancing issues like post-traumatic instability and disease-fighting immunity problems. An ideal rest of eight hours is a must for optimum bodily and mental functions. Hormonal balance, repair of cells, brain processing, sugar digestion, weight maintenance, inflammation diseases, mental reflexes, etc., are normal physical processes controlled by efficient sleep. UV rays, stress, chemicals, etc., are some harmful exposures that damage the body. Cell repair during sleep is essential to ward off the effects of such damage-causing situations. An effective rest of eight hours allows one to learn, perform physical activities, remember information, lose weight, interact, etc. So invest in a good mattress, pillow, or blanket for a sufficient slumber at night and be adequately equipped to finish the day's tasks. Check out Doctor Dreams for a wide range of plush and comfortable mattresses today!>Also Read : Buying Guide: What Size Mattress Is Right for You? | Doctor Dreams