Science-backed Benefits of Beauty Sleep - Doctor Dream
Scientific research indicates beyond doubt that sleep is essential for all age groups. Sleep energizes the mind, heals & restores the body, and strengthens almost the entire body system. As per National Sleep Foundation (NPF) guidelines, healthy adults require 7 - 9 hours of sleep per night. Infants, young children, and teens need even more sleep to facilitate their growth and development. People above 65 years of age are advised to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
The concept of Beauty Sleep can be traced back to the early 18th century when references to Beauty Sleep were observed during long protracted parliamentary debates. Leapfrog to the current times, today's generation is frequently urged to accord importance and priority to getting adequate rest and sleep. The desirability of enjoying 'Beauty Sleep' is pertinent to people's stressful lifestyles these days. Besides the required discipline and commitment, the good quality of mattress, pillow, bedsheets, and blanket creates a conducive environment that facilitates attaining and enjoying Beauty Sleep. Explore the wide range of bedding products from Doctor Dreams like pillows, Blanket, and Protective covers that help people experience beauty sleep and the various scientific benefits it provides.
What is beauty sleep?
Beauty sleep is a period of regular restful sleep, especially attained by going to bed early.
Beauty sleep is also an expression used to emphasize that a person will be more rested, potentially appearing more beautiful, if the person goes to bed early and/or get extra sleep.
How much sleep is required?
The number of hours of Beauty Sleep depends on the person's age. Young people need more sleep to give body and skin to recharge for the next day. Generally, people need less sleep with the progression of age. NPF guidelines suggest sleeping hours for each age group and further recommend that adults ideally need 7-9 hours of sleep every night. The recommendations also take into consideration that, for people with special circumstances or challenges, there's some room for flexibility on either side of the 'acceptable range'. However, it is considered as the not optimal amount of sleep.
Overall health, daily activities, and sleep patterns generally determine how much sleep one needs. The following list of simple questions on a person's lifestyle and activity profile will provide a clear indication of the existing sleep quality and if one needs to sleep more.
- Are you productive, healthy, and happy after 7 hours of sleep? Or it is evident of late that more sleeping hours will keep you alert and productive.
- Are there any coexisting medical conditions? Are you facing a higher risk of any disease?
- Is your work labour-intensive? And do you play sports regularly? Is your expenditure on energy intake high?
- Do you drive every day? Have you experienced sleepiness when driving?
- Do you experience sleeping problems, or do you have a history of such sleeping problems?
- Do you need caffeine to sustain your energy throughout the day?
Benefits of Sleep beauty:
Beauty sleep or High-Quality Sleep can affect a person's health and appearance by stimulating the production of Human Growth Hormone (HGH).
Scientific evidence suggests that HGH may positively affect skin health and condition with the outcome of the following benefits:
- Support natural skin exfoliation
- Stronger protective skin barrier
- Reduced trans-epidermal moisture loss (as the skin has improved ability to retain water and hydration)
- Improved skin resilience to damage from solar radiation, pollution, smoking, cosmetic chemicals, and others
- Support healing and recovery of skin level injuries
- Stretch marks and scarring is significantly reduced (due to increased collagen and elastin synthesis in the second skin layer-dermis)
- Less risk of premature formation of ageing signs (wrinkles and fine lines)
- Reduced skin puffiness
- Firmer skin
- Reduced dark circles below the eyes
Good night's sleep may also produce the following health benefits:
- Support weight loss efforts (adequate sleep helps burns 55% more fat)
- Improved mood
Factors that enhance Sleep quality or Beauty Sleep:
The following factors help enhance sleep quality. The goal to achieve the number of hours of sleep one needs ought to be followed up with adequate planning.
- Accord priority to sleep in the schedule
- Improving sleep hygiene, including bedroom configuration and sleep habits
- Stick to the same sleep schedule every week, including weekends
- Go to bed 30 minutes earlier than normal, and plan to sleep for at least 8 hours
- Practice a relaxing pre-bed routine that helps fall asleep quickly
- Choosing the comfortable and back supporting Orthopaedic mattress along with the required quality bedding materials – pillow and bedsheet
- Reducing disruptions from light and sound to minimal levels while optimizing your bedroom temperature and aroma.
- Disconnecting electronic devices like laptops and switching mobile phones to silent mode, at least half-hour or more before bed.
- Monitor and regulate caffeine and alcohol intake, and avoid consuming these beverages a few hours before bed.
- Stay hydrated through the day, but avoid drinking too many liquids in the evenings.
- Avoid eating big meals and food high in sugar before going to bed.
- Maintain the bedroom temperature to a comfortable 18-23 degrees Celsius to help fall asleep and enjoy quality sleep
Quality of sleep or Beauty Sleep is no more just a Cliché. The several health benefits of Beauty Sleep are scientifically proven after extensive research across age groups. While the benefits are largely about skin condition and skin ageing, physiological benefits include reducing obesity and improving moods. A simple protocol of sleep discipline, monitoring and regulating fluid intake, ensuring light dinners, and regulating the use of electronic devices, go a long way in enhancing sleep quality or enjoying beauty sleep. Check out and Buy the Doctor Dreams range of Orthopaedic mattresses with gel memory foam, suitably accessorized with supporting pillow and bedsheets to experience the benefit of beauty sleep, thereby enjoying good health and quality of life